Millions of people all over the world suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). It is a sleeping disorder in which breathing is shortly but frequently disrupted during sleep. The pause lasts for at least 10 seconds and occurs due to the back-throat muscles failing in opening the airways. The condition causes low oxygen levels in the blood and short spans of sleep which can lead to heart disease and many mood and memory problems. Certain factors such as being overweight and having a large neck and even smoking can lead to the risk of developing OSA. When you approach a doctor with your symptoms and list of previous medications, they will most likely use a sleep study to diagnose whether you have sleep apnea or not. This requires spending a night sleeping at a sleep centre during which a variety of things such as heart rate, muscle activity is monitored. The treatment for this disorder is the continuous positive airway pressure device (CPAP) that contains a mask that covers your nose and mouth and slowly blows air into your throat to keep it open during sleep. Pharmacies have CPAP masks for sale and you can even purchase them online.
For the treatment to work, patients must use the machine every time they sleep including naps and should take the machine with them while travelling. Your doctor works with your insurance company to get a CPAP machine, a mask and a tube. There is a data card in the machine that is checked from time to time by the company and doctor to see if you are using the machine and if the settings are working to correct your disorder. You doctor will work with you to find the most comfortable mask among the CPAP masks for sale. They come in a variety of shapes to fit all kinds of face structures. There are 3 types of CPAP masks for sale: nasal pillows, nasal masks and full-face masks. Many people notice immediate changes from the treatment including the elimination of snoring, Better quality sleep and increased alertness during the day. The amount of drowsiness felt during the day is also decreased.
There are also certain side effects to the treatment such as runny nose, dry mouth or even nosebleeds. Here are some tips that can help you deal with the following problems:
- The wrong mask can cause difficulty in falling asleep comfortably and also affect the treatment. Try different masks and choose the one that is your size. Some people feel claustrophobic with full face mask so can choose the nasal pillows that cover less of the face.
- If you have trouble adjusting to the device then you should try wearing it for short periods of time even when you are awake. You should give the it 2 to 3 weeks for proper adjustment. Try to relax before sleeping and avoid any caffeinated drinks so that you can fall asleep promptly.
- You may face some challenges while getting used to air being forced down your airway. To combat this, start with lower pressure and then the machine can be set to automatically increase the pressure as you fall asleep.
- To help with a stuffy nose you should always keep a check on your mask to make sure that it is not leaking out air. Some devices come with a heated humidifier that can help put the nasal passageway at ease. A nasal saline spray before going to bed also helps with a dry nose.
- Leaky masks can lead to irritation on the skin and eyes as the mask may be blowing air onto them. Make sure you are wearing the mask correctly and that its not too high on your nose. There are also adjusting pads available to help you deal with this problem.
- If you sleep with your mouth open then a CPAP machine can make the situation worse. There are chin straps available so that your mouth stays closed during sleep.
- Some people may pull off their mask during sleep or it can slip off if you move around a lot. Use a full-face mask for this type of problem and also consider using alarms during the night to help you make sure that you are still wearing the mask.